Wow have the years gone by. My son who is on the spectrum turned 10 this month. What a decade of ups and downs. Jeremy is a precious boy and we love him very much.
If your wondering around Whole Foods or the Health Food Store and wondering what are some of the best diet strategies and supplements to help with Autism here are some recommendations.
1. Gluten/ Casein Free Diet – eliminate these foods from the diet. 70% respond during a 6 month trial. Improved eye contact, improved sleep and speech reported.
2. Allergy Elimination Diet – a growing body of evidence shows that food allergies, or more accurately food sensitivities, can harm numerous body systems and cause a wide range of unwanted symptoms such as head banging and self injury behavior. Food Culprits are soy, peanuts, gluten, dairy, citrus, egg, etc…
3. Low Phenol Diet – My son is very sensitive to phenols. 25-45% of ASD children react to high phenolic foods. Some signs to look out for are red cheeks, ears, dark circles under the eyes can be caused by eating these foods such as bananas, apples, red grapes, oranges, tomatoes and nuts to name a few. Some known treatments for this are a low phenol diet, Epson salt baths, glucosamine sulfate and No-Fenol Chewable, Multi-Enzyme.
4. Oxalate control - Oxalates in the urine are much higher in individuals with autism than in normal children. Some signs to look for are squinting, eye pressing behaviors, toe walking and cloudy urine. Some known foods high in oxalate’s are spinach, nuts beets, raw carrots, rhubarb, buckwheat and millet, sweet potato, most beans, kiwi, strawberries, chocolate, red raspberries, blackberries, cocoa powder, and soybeans.
5. The Basic Vitamins – A Good Multi Vitamin for Autism, higher doses of vitamin b especially b5 & b6, folic acid, vitamin c, zinc, calcium magnesium and vitamin d.
6. Enzyme Therapy- Unlike many drug therapies, enzymes are a quick and relatively inexpensive option to try, with a high probability for success. You will usually see results within the first four weeks, and often with just one bottle. These can help greatly with gluten and casein.
7. Priobiotics- Are living nonpathogenic microorganisms, which beneficially affect a child’s health, when administered in adequate amounts as food ingredient or supplement. Research on probiotics have found them useful in a wide variety of health issues and have also been proven to help in influencing the immune system. They help to colonize the GI tract with healthy bacteria that can make a huge difference in a child’s health.
9. DMG and TMG – Has been shown to improve speech and language. Try for 6 weeks with increased dosages. Can cause hyperactivity.
10. Iron Supplementation – If indicated by blood test, ferritin less than 30. Some signs for the need of iron supplementation are pale complexion, dark circles under eyes, restless legs at nite, pica – eating inedible substances.
Therapies for Autistic Children
Autism is considered as a common developmental disability that affects many children. It typically affects the social skills and communication skills of an individual. There are several treatments for autism that can help with the improvement of the child’s developmental growth. Majority of children have in reality gained an advantage from therapeutic involvement. There are commonly used therapies for autistic children; it includes the RDI or Relationship Development Intervention, DIR/Floortime and the ABA or Applied Behavioral Analysis. Read More…
Sоmеtіmеѕ trуіng tо соmе uр wіth асtіvіtіеѕ fоr аutіѕtіс kіdѕ thаt wіll bе fun, еduсаtіоnаl аnd nоt соѕt а lоt саn bе а ѕtrugglе. Sо іt’ѕ rеаѕѕurіng tо knоw thаt thеrе аrе а numbеr оf роѕѕіbіlіtіеѕ оut thеrе, іt’ѕ јuѕt а mаttеr оf fіndіng ѕоmе thаt wіll арреаl tо уоur сhіld’ѕ реrѕоnаl tаѕtеѕ. Thе fоllоwіng аrе еxаmрlеѕ оf рорulаr асtіvіtіеѕ fоr аutіѕtіс сhіldrеn bеtwееn thе аgеѕ оf 7 аnd 11.
- Sіngіng – аutіѕtіс сhіldrеn gаіn а numbеr оf bеnеfіtѕ frоm ѕіngіng. Chіldrеn whо аrе nоn-vеrbаl саn hum, mаkе ѕоundѕ, оr рlау muѕісаl іnѕtrumеntѕ ѕuсh аѕ whіѕtlеѕ, tаmbоurіnеѕ, drumѕ, kаzооѕ, оr ѕmаll kеуbоаrdѕ. Rереаtіng ѕоundѕ, mаkіng uр nеw tunеѕ, оr еvеn lеаrnіng еduсаtіоnаl lуrісѕ саn bе vеrу uѕеful fоr hеlріng kіdѕ tо lеаrn аnd mау аlѕо рrоvіdе thеm ѕоmе muсh-nееdеd ѕеnѕоrу ѕtіmulаtіоn – thе ѕаmе thеу wоuld gеt frоm уеllіng, оnlу mоrе рlеаѕіng tо thе раrеntаl еаr! Mіmісkіng оnе аnоthеr’ѕ nоtеѕ аnd tunеѕ саn bе аn іmроrtаnt ѕосіаl еxреrіеnсе thаt еnсоurаgеѕ іntеrасtіоn. Exреrіmеnt wіth dіffеrеnt ѕоundѕ аnd dіffеrеnt tуреѕ оf muѕіс tо fіnd thе оnеѕ уоur сhіld еnјоуѕ аnd rеѕроndѕ bеѕt tо. Read More…